Chromebook Usage Guidlines
Chromebooks are the property of the Ringgold School District and should be treated as such.
**The guidelines listed below need to be adhered to at all times.**
District-owned Chromebooks should never be taken to an outside computer service for any type of repair or maintenance.
Chromebooks should not be altered in any way.
Students should never leave their Chromebooks unattended.
A lost or stolen Chromebook must be reported immediately.
a. General Precautions
● No food or drink should be next to Chromebooks.
● Cords, cables, and removable storage devices (e.g. thumb drives) must be inserted carefully into the appropriate port on the Chromebooks.
● Chromebooks should not be used or stored near pets.
● Chromebooks should not be placed on the floor where someone could step on them.
● Chromebooks should not be used with the power cord plugged in when the cord may be a tripping hazard.
● Chromebooks must remain free of any writing, drawing, stickers, and labels.
● Heavy objects should never be placed on top of Chromebooks.
● Chromebooks and/or it's AC charger should never be loaned to another student or individual during the school day or otherwise, unless requested to do so by school personnel.
b. Carrying Chromebooks
● Always transport Chromebooks with care. Failure to do so may result in disciplinary action.
● Students should hold the Chromebooks (cover closed) with two hands if they need to carry the Chromebook anywhere inside or outside of the classroom during instructional time.
● Never lift a Chromebook by the screen.
● Never carry a Chromebook with the screen open.
c. Opening the Chromebook
● Open the Chromebook only when it is resting on a flat surface such as a table or desk.
● To open the Chromebook, use one hand to hold the keyboard against the table. Use the other hand to open the screen by grasping the screen’s edge (in the middle) and gently moving the screen to the open position.
● The hinge of the screen will only allow the screen to be open to a slight angle. Do not attempt to open the screen beyond this stopping point as the screen or hinges will break if forced.
d. Closing the Chromebook
● Before closing the screen, make sure there is nothing on the keyboard to prevent the full closure of the device. Obstacles on the keyboard could cause broken screens or damaged hinges.
● Close the screen only when the Chromebook is resting on a flat surface such as a table or desk.
● Close the Chromebook using two hands--one at either corner of the screen
● Close the screen gently.
e. Screen Care
The Chromebook screen can be damaged if subjected to heavy objects, rough treatment, some cleaning solvents, and other liquids. The screens are particularly sensitive to damage from excessive pressure.
● Do not put pressure on the top of a Chromebook when it is closed.
● Do not store a Chromebook with the screen open.
● Make sure there is nothing on the keyboard before closing the lid (e.g. pens, pencils, or disks).
● Never lift the Chromebook by the screen.
● Do not hit or apply pressure to the Chromebook's screen
● Only clean the screen with a soft, dry microfiber cloth or anti-static cloth.
f. Charging Chromebooks
● Chromebooks must be brought to school each day with a full charge.
● Students should charge their Chromebooks at home every evening.
● Third party AC chargers are not to be used and damage resulting from not using the manufacturer's AC charger may result in the cost of a full Chromebook replacement.
g. Chromebook Keyboard
● Do not take off keypads from the keyboard.
● Do not place stickers or write on the keyboard keypads.
h. Transferring/Withdrawing Students
Students that transfer out of or withdraw from Ringgold must turn in their Chromebooks, charger and case to the building's main office on their last day of attendance. Failure to turn in the Chromebook will result in the student being charged the full replacement cost for each missing asset (chromebook, charger, case).